September can be an opportunity to rework the direction things are going for you and set some new goals for your life.
As a therapist - and a human being - I often sense a greater willingness for change this time of year. It is never too late to listen to your nagging intuition and make changes, even when it feels scary.
Here are 5 strategies to try this September
1. Get your sleep schedule on track-Often the summer brings about later nights, less routine, less meal planning, more fun and more indulgences. Less balance overall. Start to prioritize sleep by going to bed earlier and getting up around the same time every day. Yes, even on the weekends.
2. Establish a strong morning routine that includes some self-care, gratitude, no social media, movement of any kind and connection with family or friends
3. Get a planner (I prefer paper myself) to stay organized with your goals and must- dos like school or work assignments, appointments, and extracurricular activities. Schedule in time for the things you maybe haven't had time for, like caring for your health, mental and physical or your relationships.
4. Try not to over commit yourself so you can build in some you time.
5. Do some self-reflection (with compassion) on where you want to be next year and think about small changes to get you closer to that
Above all, trust that things will work out and you will be OK even when times are as uncertain as they are right now.
September is undeniably easier to make changes than the traditional time of January when the days are short, the nights are dark, energy is zapped and the exhaustion of the holidays has set in.
Make the fall a time of renewal and experience the benefits of these changes now in the new year. Therapy can be part of these positive changes, reach out if you want to talk.
We're here if you want to talk :)
Take the first step and call us for an appointment ...(506) 651-1239